It is our policy to promote any Institution which is involved in uplifting the status of our Ummah, The assistance can be in any form, mainly by promoting its activities and awareness amongst the Muslims at large. As our website is being visited by at least 5 people per hour on the average, we decided to write and promote All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama, which is the apex religious body of Islamic Theologians of Sri Lanka, providing religious leadership to the Sri Lankan Muslim community.
The All Ceylon Jamiyyathul Ulama (ACJU) was established in the year 1924 and was incorporated by Act No 51 of 2000, of the Parliament of the Socialist Democratic Republic of Sri Lanka. They have strived over the last eight decades for the Muslim Community's spiritual and temporal advancement, and have established fifty five district and divisional branches and enrolled around 5,000 qualified theologians as its members.
Their primary goals are:
- Promoting and preserving the concept of "Deenul Islam"
- Maintaining and promoting tranquility among Muslims, especially among the theologians
- Enhancing the economic, cultural, educational and social welfare of Muslims
To achieve these goals the ACJU has established the following 10 sub-committees:
- Fatwa Committee
- Hilal Committee
- Education Committee
- Publication Committee
- Propaganda Committee
- Social Services Committee
- Halal Certification Committee
- Advisory Committee to Islamic Banking and Financial Institutions
- Information Committee
- Council for Co-operation and Consolidation (CCC)
These committees, as their names imply, are involved in deciding applicable issues and decide what is best for the community. The members of these committees are qualified and are specialized to review and advise on such matters as and when these areise. The sub-committees organize island wide seminars to educate and promote knowledge based on the Quran and Sunnah. The Education Committee promotes every aspect of religious as well as secular education and has declared the first month of the Islamic Calender as ‘The month of Education’. They have recognized that knowledge is the foundation for 'proper' living according to Islam. The ACJU is responsible for training Quazi Judges and conducts workshops for teachers of Quranic schools. They also promote unity among Muslims and stress on maintaining harmony with all other communities. This is in complete harmony with Sailan Muslim’s motto " Diversity and Inclusiveness".
Sailan Muslim has worked with ACJU on many community projects and at present we are heavily involved in Halaal Certification of Meat (Beef and Mutton). This is a major project where the Sri Lankan Government will be heavily involved and requires proper direction and follow up.
As ACJU is part and parcel of our Ummah and their mission and vision is to serve the community, we urge all Muslims to pledge their unconditional support and contribute generously so that this hallowed Institution can fulfill its tasks to the satisfaction of all concerned.
Latest posts by A.G.A.Barrie, B.Sc(Eng). P.Eng. (see all)
- A.M.A. AZEEZ – ARCHITECT AND FOUNDER OF THE CEYLON MUSLIM SCHOLARSHIP FUND BY A.G.A. BARRIE P.Eng. - October 1, 2013
- THE REPORT ON SECOND PHASE OF THE MALIGAHENA SCHOOL PROJECT BY AGA Barrie P.Eng. - December 11, 2011
- SCHOOL DEVELOPMENT PROJECT BY Eng. A.G.A.Barrie, B.Sc(Eng). P.Eng. - April 28, 2011
- MUSLIMS TO SUPPORT GOVERNMENT AGAINST THE UN WAR PANEL AGA BARRIE P.Eng. - April 25, 2011